Helmsley Walled Garden is a social enterprise and registered charity in North Yorkshire. It provides horticultural therapy, education and employment with special emphasis on addressing the needs of the disadvantaged within the community.
In 2008 and 2009 it hosted ‘The Green Day’ a one day event to promote local, regional and national ethical and environmental issues through information stalls, trade stands and ‘hands on’ activities for people of all ages.
Plug and Tap’s objectives included:
- Building awareness of the event and its commercial benefits to stall holders and exhibitors.
- Promoting the event in the identified catchment area to attract visitors to the Green Day with a target footfall on the day of 1000 visitors.
- In 2009 Plug and Tap also provided a full event management service, supported by volunteers and the staff of Helmsley Walled Garden.
Plug and Tap hosted a marketing strategy session to identify the event’s key messages and audiences. This set the design brief for the visual identity for The Green Day which was used across all marketing display. Plug and Tap built a database of potential trade exhibitors and used a mix of digital marketing and direct mail to introduce the Green Day to potential stall holders, highlighting the benefit to them of being part of the event. In the six weeks running up to the event Plug and Tap issued a series of press releases focusing on the event’s key messages and highlighting the day’s activities. The event was listed on a number of ‘What’s On’ websites and promoted through social networking sites including Facebook and Twitter. Other promotion included road signage and banners and a door to door leaflet distribution.
- 35 stall holders and exhibitors
- Attendance targets achieved with an increase year-on-year
- National and local press coverage yielding a high ROI
- BBC Radio York broadcast live from the event
- Sponsorship gained from local businesses
- Visitors expressed their enjoyment of Helmsley Walled Garden and willingness to be contacted to join the annual ‘Friends’ scheme
- The Green Day identity was later used across for other marketing material for Helmsley Walled Garden
Click here to download this case study as a PDF.